QUALIFICATIONS (when selecting artists, The Studios Inc seeks)
- A willingness to support program objectives by maintaining a strong studio presence, maximizing use of available facilities to create significant work, contributing to a collegial creative atmosphere, and participating in studio community activities.
- A strong desire to produce art as demonstrated by a solid track record.
- A focus on his or her unique definition of their “next level” of professional achievement.
- Must reside in the Greater Kansas City area (Jackson, Platte and Clay counties in MO and Johnson and Wyandotte counties in KS) now, or are willing to relocate to live in the Kansas City area for the duration of the residency. If applying as a non-resident, please include a short statement regarding your intention to relocate to the area.
- Must be a mid-career artist (an artist with at least seven years experience since undergraduate studies or professional equivalent). Mid career is a flexible category, defined partly by age, partly by time on the job, but they have one thing in common: their work has developed over time and maintained its presence for a number of years as evidenced by regional or national recognition through publication or public presentation. Beyond our quantitative measure of seven years experience after undergraduate studies, it is a qualitative measure where an artist has a body of work that has a fully developed language or style.
- Artists must sign an annual lease documenting their occupancy requirements.
- Artists also provide all supplies, equipment, and insurance for their studio space.
- Artists are asked to gift two significant works annually, which The Studios uses to secure program funding through the Patron and Corporate Collector programs.
- Artists shall maintain residence in the Greater Kansas City area for the duration of their residency.
- Artists must maintain a strong studio presence, maximizing use of available facilities to create significant work.